Samantha Lo (SKL0)
|Other names||SKL0, The Sticker Lady|
|Education||Diploma in Food Science & Nutrition|
|Alma mater||CHIJ Katong Convent, Temasek Polytechnic|
Samantha Lo is a Singaporean artist who goes by the moniker SKL0. She is more commonly known by the Singapore public as the ‘Sticker Lady’ for her graffiti of 'My Grandfather Road' and stickers that she had placed on public property. When Samantha first started out in the local art industry, she established an online art platform RCGNTN in 2009 to raise awareness and increase interest for the local art scene among Singaporeans. A champion for local artisans and creatives, Samantha Lo is the founder of a management and creative consultancy called Project XIV. Samantha Lo's artworks have been showcased both locally and internationally.
Project XIV (2010 - Present Day)
Project XIV (official website) is a local artist management and creative consultancy. Project XIV aims to bridge the existing gap between artists and clients while promoting the possibility of a career in the arts in Singapore. The name of the company, 'Project XIV', takes reference from Article 14 of the Constitution of Singapore which declares the right to free speech. RCGNTN (official website) was created in 2009 and had since been incorporated into Project XIV. RCGNTN was created as an online space dedicated to local artisans and makers. It includes interviews and profile features of artists based in Singapore. The project aims to foster more purposeful relationships between artists and their audiences.
Exhibitions & artwork (Singapore)
|2019||Nike Jewel Changi Airport Outlet||-||Mural, prints and shirt desgins|||
|2018||Singapore Indoor Stadium||REPRESENT||Mural||-|
|2018||The Art House||Progress - The Game of Leaders||Interactive sculpture|||
|2017||Scotts Road||Greetings from Singapore||Solo exhibition|||
|2017||Gillman Barracks||Coexist||Mural design|||
|2017||Siloso Beach, Sentosa||On the Impermanence of Discovery||Neon lights installation|||
|2016||Circular Road||My Grandfather Road||180-metre chalk mural|||
|2015||The Substation Gallery||The Limpeh Show||First solo exhibition|||
|2013||Affordable Art Fair||Paintings of cultured milk bottles||Paintings|||
Exhibitions & artwork (Overseas)
|2018||Penang, Malaysia||AKID ONE X SKL0 collaboration||Mural|||
|2017||Bourke Street, Melbourne, Australia||-||8m x 10m mural||-|
|2017||Collingwood, Australia||For Better, For Worse||Solo exhibition||-|
|2017||Arjan Garh metro station, Delhi, India||-||Graffiti||-|
Sticker Lady Saga (2012)
For more details on the incident, read "Sticker Lady" saga (2012).
In May 2012, Samantha Lo had spray-painted the words ‘My Grandfather Road’ on several roads in Singapore. On top of this, she and her accomplice was charged for pasting stickers on traffic light control buttons and spray-painting the words ‘My Grandfather Building’ on Realty Centre.
Her arrest had sparked conflicting sentiments among Singaporeans, with a weekly poll by Yahoo News revealing that 46% of respondents felt that her work should be considered as creative art while 15% believed that it should be considered as vandalism. A petition titled "Review sentence of SKL0 ; Arts Censorship in SG" was created in response to this incident, where it had garnered a total of 15,164 supporter upon the closing of the petition. She was subsequently sentenced to 240 hours of community service for her actions.
TEDx UWCSEAEast 2017 “Rediscovering what I love” (2017)
In 2017, Samantha Lo was a speaker for TEDx UWCSEAEast where she shared her journey as an artist in Singapore and what she had learnt in the years she had been active. She voiced the struggles she had faced in 2012 following her mischief charges.
References / Citations
- BAKCHORMEEBOY. “Singapore Art Week 2018: Progress - The Game of Leaders by Sam Lo”. Backchormeeboy. January 23, 2018. Accessed on 22 January 2019. Retrieved from: https://bakchormeeboy.com/2018/01/23/singapore-art-week-2018-progress-the-game-of-leaders-by-sam-lo/
- “RCGNTN: About”. RCGNTN. Accessed on 22 January 2019. Retrieved from: https://rcgntn.sg/about/
- Amirul Shazzani. "Meet Sam Lo, the Singaporean artist behind Nike's Jewel Changi Airport store design". Straatosphere. April 25, 2019. Accessed on 13 May 2019. Retrieved from: https://straatosphere.com/meet-sam-lo-the-singaporean-artist-behind-nike-jewel-changi-airport-store-design/
- Lo, Samantha. “”Home””. Facebook. April 18, 2018. Accessed on 22 January 2019. Retrieved from: https://www.facebook.com/skl0art/posts/homesprays-and-wall-painta-special-piece-for-tampineswest-reflecting-my-love-for/1877342592329126/
- “Progress: The Game of Leaders by Samantha Lo”. Singapore Art & Gallery Guide. Accessed on 22 January 2019. Retrieved from: https://sagg.info/event/progress-the-game-of-leaders-by-samantha-lo/
- "Greetings from Singapore by Sam Lo". One East Asia. Accessed on 7 March 2019. Retrieved from: http://www.oneeastasia.org/art-projects-past-events.html
- "Samantha Lo (SkL0) on Life and Art". Books Actually. February 7, 2017. Accessed on 26 February 2019. Retrieved from: https://www.booksactuallyshop.com/blogs/chowing-fat/samantha-lo-skl0-artist-interview
- “Greetings from Singapore”. BooksActually. Accessed on 22 January 2019. Retrieved from: https://www.booksactuallyshop.com/products/greetings-from-singapore
- “UCA (Unkown Chinese Artists): Mural unveiling and artist talk”. Artnet. Accessed on 22 January 2019. Retrieved from: http://www.artnet.com/galleries/sundaram-tagore-gallery/uca-unknown-chinese-artists-mural-unveiling/
- Paz Marvelous. “Bright Nights at Sentoda :: Pop-Up Night”. RCGNTN. December 31, 2017. Accessed on 22 January 2019. Retrieved from: https://rcgntn.sg/2017/12/bright-nights-at-sentosa-pop-up-night/
- Reena Devi Shanmuga Retnam. "Sticker Lady returns to the streets". Today Online. November 25, 2016. Accessed on 7 March 2019. Retrieved from: https://www.todayonline.com/entertainment/arts/sticker-lady-returns-streets
- Martin, Mayo. “‘Sticker Lady’ Sam Lo’s first solo show marks the end of a chapter”. TODAYonline. August 10, 2015. Accessed on 22 January 2019. Retrieved from: https://www.todayonline.com/entertainment/arts/sticker-lady-sam-los-first-solo-show-marks-end-chapter
- Huang Lijie. "Gallerist caution budding artists to price works realistically". The Straits Times. November 22, 2013. Accessed on 26 February 2019. Retrieved from: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/gallerist-caution-budding-artists-to-price-works-realistically
- Lo, Samantha. “MURAL COLLABORATION for #connexions2018 at @georgetownfestival.” Instagram. September 1, 2018. Accessed on 22 January 2019. Retrieved from: https://www.instagram.com/p/BnLVHdAg9Nn/
- Chan, Sean Kit Whye. “Sticker Lady’s Traffic Light Sticker Turns Up In Penang, Stirs Controversy Again”. MustShareNews. July 31, 2017. Accessed on 22 January 2019. Retrieved from: https://mustsharenews.com/sticker-lady-penang/
- "Review sentence of SKL0; Arts Censorship in SG". Change.org. Accessed on 26 February 2019. Retrieved from: https://www.change.org/p/mica-review-sentence-of-skl0-arts-censorship-in-sg
- Chong, Elena. "Sticker Lady and accomplice plead guilty to mischief". The Straits Times. April 2, 2013. Accessed on 26 February 2019. Retrieved from: https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/sticker-lady-and-accomplice-plead-guilty-to-mischief
- TEDx Talks. “Rediscovering what I Love| Samantha Lo | TEDxUWCSEAEast”. Youtube. June 23, 2017. Accessed on 22 January 2019. Retrieved from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbJyq0cY1H0