One Week Love (Singapore Reality Dating Show)
One Week Love is a 10-episode reality dating show produced by TheSmartLocal that was officially premiered on YouTube on 18 October 2022. The premise of the show puts nine attractive singles under one roof for a span of one week to see if the individuals can find love. The show was directed and produced by TheSmartLocal, with the company’s founder, Bryan Choo, as the executive producer. The show was also done in partnership with brands, some of them being [email protected], HipVan and Meadows.
In the context of the show, Bryan also revealed the following:
“Clients are looking for novel ways to engage with consumers as readers these days are desensitised to the typical advertisement. It’s all about being creative to have your work stand out, and this can be quite costly. We feel apart from being a dating show with a great concept, One Week Love is also a one-of-a-kind product and we’re glad so many brands have come on board for our first season. We’ve gotten them amazing ROI to their core audiences are we’re now exploring partners for our second season”.
As of November 2022, the show has garnered more than 1.5 million views across its 10 episodes on YouTube.
The show is the first of its kind in Singapore and draws inspiration from international reality dating shows such as Terrace House and Singles’ Inferno. Apart from the main contestants, the show also comprised a panel of hosts or commentators whose reactions and comments to each episode were spliced into the show’s production.
The host panel is made up of Fauzi Aziz, Amanda Feng, Devika Panicker, and Leah Shannon Neubronner. At present, Fauzi and Amanda are employees of TheSmartLocal. Leah worked at ZULA, one of TheSmartLocal’s sister sites for a period of 5 years and 4 months before pursuing a stint as a freelance content creator. Devika, an actress and former Ms V Supreme (2019) who is a guest panelist.
Nine contestants - five men and four women - participated in the show’s first two episodes, before a tenth contestant, Donovan Wong Tun Shaun, was introduced in the third episode as a game changer.
The contestants are as follows:
- Dione Tan
- Nur Atiqah
- Kasey Avarielle Low
- Roziana Condy
- Dania Ervianny Nah
- Oliver Loo
- Sam Driscoll
- Garialdi Salim
- Tinesh Brendan Jacob
- Donovan Wong Tun Shaun
On 28 October 2022, TSL Media published an article stating that reception to the show has been positive with over half a million views accumulated within a week of its launch. The season finale released on 15 November 2022 garnered a total of 1.8k likes on YouTube.
Throughout the episodes of the show, online viewers were quick to point out in the comment section that there were two noticeable instances of bullying amongst the contestants. In a case of gang mentality, the girls were quick to single out male contestant, Garibaldi who is known as Gari, for helping another contestant Kasey adjust her microphone. This issue soon ballooned into Gari being at the forefront of scathing criticism from the girls during subsequent episodes. Viewers also came forward to defend Gari and empathise with Gari for the “mistreatment”.
Around the 8th-episode mark, tension started growing amongst the female contestants and culminated in Kasey Avarielle Low getting “ganged up on” and “ostracized from the group”. Views took to the comments section of the last few episodes of One Week Love to criticise the other female contestants for gaslighting Kasey. Kasey also took to Instagram to address the bullying incident saying “I’m not going to downplay what I went through and say it’s okay, because it’s not, bullying is NOT okay, and if you are being bullied please speak up.”.
- TSL Media. ““One Week Love” New Dating Show Hits Half A Million Views In A Week, Features Brands Like Grab, [email protected] & GaiGai”. TSL Media. October 28, 2022. Accessed 21 November 2022.
- TheSmartLocal. “One Week Love”. YouTube. n.d. Accessed 21 November 2022.
- TheSmartLocal. “Everyone Has Eyes On The Same Target? | One Week Love Ep. 1”. YouTube. October 18, 2022.
- Aziz, Fauzi. “Fauzi Aziz”. LinkedIn. n.d. Accessed 21 November 2022.
- Feng, Amanda. “Amanda Feng”. LinkedIn. n.d. Accessed 21 November 2022.
- Neubronner, Leah Shannon. “Leah Shannon”. LinkedIn. n.d. Accessed 21 November 2022.
- Ramkumar, Shiva. “Eye Candy: We Chat With Model, Actress, and Sexual Violence Awareness Advocate Devika Panicker”. City Nomads. October 23, 2022. Accessed 21 November 2022.
- TheSmartLocal. “A Hot Newcomer Steals The Limelight | One Week Love Ep. 3”. YouTube. October 21, 2022. Accessed 21 November 2022.
- Yong, Nicole. “Meet The Contestants Of One Week Love, SG’s New Reality Dating Show: Occupations, Hobbies & Dealbreakers”. Zula. October 19,2022. Accessed 21 November 2022.
- TheSmartLocal. “Who Will Get Left Behind? | One Week Love Ep.10 (Season Finale)”. YouTube. November 15, 2022. Accessed 21 November 2022.
- Cheng, Renae. “One Week Love Sheds Light On Overlooked Social Issues In SG – Here’s Why We Should Talk About It”. TheSmartLocal. November 18, 2022. Accessed 21 November 2022.
- TheSmartLocal. “A Very Awkward Confrontation | One Week Love Ep. 4”. YouTube. October 25, 2022. Accessed 21 November 2022.
- TheSmartLocal. “Try Not to Cry Challenge | One Week Love Ep. 8”. YouTube. November 8, 2022. Accessed 21 November 2022.
- kaseyavariellelow. “hi! if you’re here from one week love, I just wanna say thank you all so so much for all the love and support. ❤️🔥 It has been really quite overwhelming and shocking for me, I honestly didn’t expect to receive so much love, so thank you! I really really appreciate it all.💗 But I also wanna say that filming the show was not easy at all, it was stressful and tiring and all of us did not have much sleep. At the end of the day, people do make mistakes and we’re always all still learning and growing. I’m not going to downplay what I went through and say it’s okay, because it’s not, bullying is NOT okay, and if you are being bullied please speak up. But sending harsh messages/comments/hate is also a form of bullying and what I do know and experienced is that words do hurt and affect people. And what you say can stick with people for a very very long time. So it’s always better to be kind. It’s also been 5 months since the show, I’m doing well, I’m very happy and I have a lot of good people in my life who love and support me. I’ve decided to only focus on the good things and prioritizing people and things that are good for my mental health. I’ve moved on, and we don’t have to all be friends, but we can still be cordial, so please be kind. ☮”. Instagram. November 10, 2022. Accessed 21 November 2022.