Kho Bin Kai
Kho Bin Kai
|Criminal charge||3 charges under the Remote Gambling Act|
|Spouse(s)||Kim Lim (divorced)|
|Children||Kyden Kho (b.2017)|
Kho Bin Kai (born in 1994) is a Singaporean who was married to socialite Kim Lim for 3 years, before both parties got divorced in 2020. In May 2023, the man was sentenced to 2 years and 10 months’ jail and a fine of $40,000 on a total of three charges under the Remote Gambling Act.
Personal life & family
Kho Bin Kai keeps his personal life private, but it is known that he shares a son, Kyden with his ex-wife, Kim Lim. He was Kim’s first husband and both individuals were married for 3 years, before getting a divorce in 2020.
According to Kim Lim, the pair's relationship had run its course and lost its spark. In fact, they had already begun living separately in 2019.
"Rather than insist on an unhappy marriage, why not let both parties pursue their own freedom?" - Kim Lim on why she and Kho Bin Kai decided to part ways in 2019.
Illegal gambling activities
Charged in court for remote gambling (2019)
In August 2019, it was reported that Kho Bin Kai had allegedly been assisting in illegal gambling activities in the period between 15 July and 27 July. Bin Kai’s supposed involvement included issuing an online remote gambling account, KBT12 to a person named Tan Chun Yong.
By 8 October 2019, Bin Kai’s case had been adjourned and the police continued to conduct forensic examinations of several mobile phones in custody. At the same time, Bin Kai also got out on a $25,000 bail.
Sentenced to jail for ties to illegal gambling activities (2023)
On 9 May 2023, Kho Bin Kai pleaded guilty for multiple offences, including controlling several online gambling master agent accounts. He was later sentenced to two years and 10 months' jail, coupled with a hefty $40,000 fine; he was also allowed to defer his sentence by two weeks.
According to the authorities, Bin Kai pleaded guilty to five charges, including managing remote gambling accounts for 4D, TOTO, and football games, as well as using criminal proceeds to buy luxury watches. On average, Bin Kai earned about $30,000 to $40,000 a month, but there were months where he earned nothing. He claimed that he was introduced to a man known as “Ah Leong”, who roped him into this 4D and TOTO “business”.
Accompanied by Kim Lim to the hearing
On 23 May 2023, Bin Kai was spotted having breakfast with a group of friends prior to the hearing. His ex-wife, Kim Lim was among them. She later gave him a tearful send-off at the State Courts, before being escorted outside.
References / Citations
- Cheung, Rainer. “Singapore heiress Kim Lim a single mum after splitting with husband of 3 years”. AsiaOne. August 12, 2020. Accessed 24 May 2023.
- Lam, Lydia. “Ex-husband of socialite Kim Lim gets jail for role in illegal gambling syndicate”. CNA. May 9, 2023. Accessed 24 May 2023.
- Alkhatib, Shaffiq. “Jail for tycoon Peter Lim’s former son-in-law for offences linked to illegal gambling activities”. The Straits Times. May 10, 2023. Accessed 24 May 2023.
- Hian, Kerr Puay. “Heiress Kim Lim's first ex-husband, 32, sentenced to jail for being illegal gambling websites agent”. Mothership.sg. May 10, 2023. Accessed 24 May 2023.
- Tan, Tammi. “S’pore Socialite Kim Lim’s Ex-Husband Jailed Nearly 3 Years For Involvement In Illegal Gambling Syndicate”. MustShareNews. May 10, 2023. Accessed 24 May 2023.
- Tan, Adeline. “Kim Lim's husband charged in court with gambling offence”. AsiaOne. August 30, 2019. Accessed 24 May 2023.
- Yeap, Amanda. “Kim Lim’s Husband Charged In Court For Alleged Remote Gambling; He’s Now Out On Bail”. MustShare News. August 30, 2019. Accessed 24 May 2023.
- Chian, Lauren. “Socialite Kim Lim appears at State Courts to support ex-husband who starts jail sentence”. The New Paper. May 23, 2023. Accessed 26 May 2023.