|Born||5 December 1989|
|Education||Bachelor of Arts (Merchandise Marketing)|
|Alma mater||Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising|
Kane Lim (born 5 December 1989) is a socialite, online personality and the founder of investment firm Kix Capital. As of October 2022, he has over 842,000 followers on Instagram.
In January 2021, he was featured as a cast member of Netflix’s reality show Bling Empire. Kane emerged as one of the breakout stars of the show due to his down-to-earth and humorous character, and subsequently received media coverage from several media publications.
Kane Lim was born on 5 December 1989 and is the eldest out of three siblings. Despite various news sites claiming that Kane’s father was a billionaire, Kane himself clarified that his parents are not billionaires, instead helming a billion-dollar company that deals with real estate, oil and shipping.
Kane has also described himself as the “black sheep” of the family, elaborating in a Yahoo!News interview:
“All I can tell you is that my grandparents came from Communist China with nothing. They’re so private; even in the way they dress, they're so simple. They don't flaunt anything. I'm the only one with social media and everything.”
Throughout the years, Kane has also declined to reveal more details about his family, citing privacy reasons.
Kane Lim is an alumnus of Anglo Chinese School (ACS), having studied at its Barker Road institution and later ACS International. From 2010 to 2013, Kane studied at private college Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (FIDM) in Los Angeles, California where he obtained his Bachelor of Arts in Merchandise Marketing.
Kane Lim is a practicing Buddhist, having been introduced to the religion in 2018 by one of his friends. In a 2021 interview with Tatler Hong Kong, he was quoted as having said the following about his faith:
“About three years ago, I was in a bad place and was overweight, depressed and didn’t know what to do with my life. A friend introduced me to Buddhism and I had a very spiritual moment and when I dived into the understanding of Buddhism and studied it, it just became one of the only religions that made sense to me. When I went deeper, I got a hold of what life meant and the cause and effect of things.” 
After completing his Bachelor of Arts at FIDM in 2013, Kane Lim has resided in Los Angeles ever since, where he is a licensed real estate agent and manages his company Kix Capital.
Having started his investment firm and invested in stocks since a young age, Kane Lim reportedly has a net worth of $20 million.
According to Kane himself, he started investing as a teenager after he took a loan from his father. He repaid his father within two months and subsequently made his first seven figure sum at the age of 19. Kane then invested in stocks and fashion with the funds he amassed and started his investment firm.
As seen from his Instagram and as reported by The Straits Times, Kane Lim has an extensive shoe collection totalling over 300 pairs. In a 2018 interview with The New Paper, Kane was quoted as having said the following:
“I have walked into a designer shoe store and said, 'I'll take one pair of everything you have in every colour, I'll take it all'.”
Bling Empire (January 2021)
In January 2021, Kane Lim appeared as one of the cast members of Bling Empire on Netflix, a reality series depicting the lives of real life wealthy Asians in Los Angeles, California. According to alternative news site Mothership, Kane sourced out cast members for the show together with friend and fellow cast member Kelly Mi Li.
Bling Empire (May 2022)
In May 2022, Kane Lim returned as one of the cast members of Bling Empire’s second season on Netflix. In particular, he gained attention during this season after being embroiled in tensions with new cast member, Dorothy Wang.
Kix Capital (current)
From Kane’s profile on property management firm Padme Services, which he is involved in, he is the founder and president of Kix Capital, an investment firm dealing in biomedicine, real estate and energy investments.
Oppenheim Group (2022 - Present)
Kane Lim is currently listed as a Realtor Associate for Oppenheim Group, a professional real estate brokerage. According to the website, he has developed and sold three properties in Venice Beach, an upscale neighbourhood in Los Angeles. Recently, however, he expressed that he is focusing on the real estate market in Asia. In an interview with NBC’s Today, he clarifies that he remains an “independent contractor”.
On May 9 2022, Fenty Beauty appointed Kane Lim as the first Southeast-Asian ambassador for the cosmetics brand. He was introduced with the #FentyFacePartner hashtag on Fenty Beauty’s Instagram page.
He has since debuted under Fenty Beauty’s new “Fenty Beauty + Fenty Skin” campaign, which is featured at the brand’s Sephora Singapore flagship store.
On the second season of Bling Empire, Kane shared about his collaboration with fellow cast-member Kevin Kreider on a fitness supplement line, Matcha Mantra. This product features a mix of Eastern and Western and ingredients, primarily Matcha.
Besides managing his business and being a social media influencer, Kane Lim has also taken part in philanthropic causes, such as raising money for the Singapore Red Cross, Uplift Family Services, and St Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital in America. Speaking to The New Paper in 2015 about giving up his luxury goods for charitable causes, Kane was quoted as having said:
“I am fortunate enough to enjoy these high fashion items at a young age. It's fulfilling when I can sell them for charity and see where the proceeds go to."
Kane Lim has also been observed participating in charitable causes on his Instagram account such as volunteering with Miracles for Kids, a California-based non-profit organisation dedicated to helping the families of critically ill children. In July 2017, Kane attended a charity gala organised by the Sian Chay Medical Institution where he and his father managed to raise over ten million dollars for the organisation.
Due to his social status and wealthy lifestyle, Kane Lim has been featured by several major media publications over the years. The following is a non-exhaustive list of Kane Lim’s media features.
|The Straits Times|||
|2021||The Straits Times|||
|2015||The New Paper|||
Lawsuit against the Lim family (2021)
In 2021, Kane spoke with Bling Empire cast mate Anna Shay about the lawsuit his extended family was facing. Lim Oon Kuin, Kane’s uncle and founder of now-defunct oil trading company Hin Leong Trading, was sued by the Hongkong and Shanghai Banking Corporation (HSBC) in late 2020 for allegedly forging documents to obtain loans from them. He has since denied HSBC’s claims.
In June 2021, the Attorney-General of Singapore filed an additional 105 charges against Lim Oon Kuin relating to fraudulent disbursements amounting to $2.23 billion. These charges also include cheating, conspiracy to commit forgery and conspiracy to forge a valuable security.
Vogue Singapore interview (2022)
In early 2022, Kane and Kim Lee, also of Bling Empire fame, sat down in Los Angeles for an interview with Vogue Singapore. In the interview, Kane talks about his upbringing and experiences on Bling Empire.
“I really appreciate that my parents raised me with good values. My grandparents came from nothing in China and I was never brought up to think that I had money. As a result, I have never thought of myself as better than anybody and I treat everyone as equal. That’s what I think makes people feel comfortable around me.”
He also says he was taught the importance of financial independence from a young age, which he chalks up to his success in his various business and investment ventures.
“It’s crucial to me that I’m able to support myself and my lifestyle without my family, and that I get to travel and do collaborations on my own without having to seek permission from my family office.”
He also expressed his gratitude to Bling Empire and its success for doing their part to foster Asian representation, especially in reality television in the West.
“Bling Empire has brought more Asian faces to the forefront and allowed us all to find community. Especially being in a foreign country and seeing all the Asian hate and racism that has emerged, it’s time for the Asians to shine!”
Citations / References
- ↑ kanelk_k. Instagram. n.d. Accessed 29 January 2021. Retrieved from https://www.instagram.com/kanelk_k/?hl=en
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 “About Us”. Padme Services. n.d. Accessed 29 January 2021.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Yong, Nicole. “20 Kane Lim Facts Including His Family, How He Amassed His Wealth & Bling Empire Season 2 News”. ZULA.sg. January 26, 2021. Accessed 29 January 2021.
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 Kane Lim. LinkedIn. n.d. Accessed 29 January 2021. Retrieved from https://www.linkedin.com/in/kane-lim-6271204a/
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Lee, Jan. “Keeping up with Kane Lim”. The Straits Times. January 28, 2021. Accessed 1 February 2021.
- ↑ Tan, Tammi. “Bling Empire’s Kane Lim Was So Disappointed By His Parents’ Reaction To The Show’s Success, He Unsent His Messages In The Group Chat”. 8 Days. January 21, 2021. Accessed 2 February 2021.
- ↑ “Bling Empire cast ages: How old are the Netflix cast?”. PopBuzz. n.d. Accessed 29 January 2021.
- ↑ kanelk_k. Instagram. December 7, 2020. Accessed 29 January 2021. Retrieved from https://www.instagram.com/p/CIeYJlWDuux/
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 Teng, Yong Ping. “Singaporean crazy rich Asian Kane Lim assembled the cast of Bling Empire”. Yahoo!News. January 19, 2021. Accessed 29 January 2021.
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 Lee, Jocelyn. “S'pore rich kid sells $20k worth of branded items for charity”. The New Paper. March 5, 2015. Accessed 1 February 2021.
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 Saadan, Andrea. “Get to Know Kane Lim From Netflix's "Bling Empire"”. Tatler Hong Kong. January 21, 2021. Accessed 1 February 2021.
- ↑ “Licensees”. California Department of Real Estate. n.d. Accessed 2 February 2021.
- ↑ Shenton, Zoe. “The net worth of the Bling Empire cast is going to blow your mind”. Cosmopolitan UK. January 21, 2021. Accessed 4 February 2021.
- ↑ “What is Kane Lim’s net worth?”. PopBuzz. n.d. Accessed 4 February 2021.
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 “Meet Kane Lim of Kix Capital in International”. VoyageLA. February 5, 2019. Accessed 2 February 2021.
- ↑ Lee, Jan. “Bling Empire's Kane Lim a real-life Crazy Rich Asian”. The Straits Times. January 21, 2021. Accessed 2 February 2021.
- ↑ Cheow, Sue-Ann. “Bling Empire's Kane Lim a real-life Crazy Rich Asian”. The New Paper. August 27, 2018. Accessed 2 February 2021.
- ↑ Stewart, Melissa. “Stream it or skip it? Here are 10 things we hate about Netflix’s Bling Empire”. CNA Luxury. n.d. Accessed 1 February 2021.
- ↑ How, Mandy. “6 things to know about 31-year-old S'porean Kane Lim, star of Netflix's 'Bling Empire'”. Mothership. January 25, 2021. Accessed 1 February 2021.
- ↑ Baxter-Wright, Dusty. “Bling Empire fans are all saying the same thing about Kane in season 2”. Cosmopolitan. May 16, 2022. Accessed 17 May 2022.
- ↑ Najib, Shafiq. “Bling Empire's Kane Lim Discusses Feud with Dorothy Wang in Season 2: 'There Was Never Peace'”. People. May 14, 2022. Accessed 17 May 2022.
- ↑ Wiki.sg. "Dorothy Wang (Bling Empire)". Wiki.sg. n.d. Accessed 8 June 2022.
- ↑ “Home”. Padme Services. n.d. Accessed 1 February 2021.
- ↑ 24.0 24.1 24.2 Oppenheim Group. “Kane Lim - The Oppenheim Group Real Estate”. The Oppenheim Group Real Estate. n.d. Accessed 17 May 2022.
- ↑ Nicolaou, Elena. “Kane Lim of 'Bling Empire' explains his connection to 'Selling Sunset'”. NBC Universal, Today. May 13, 2022. Accessed 17 May 2022.
- ↑ 26.0 26.1 Sng, Suzanne. "Bling Empire's Kane Lim is Fenty Beauty's first South-east Asian face". The Straits Times. May 10, 2022. Accessed 17 May 2022.
- ↑ Fenty Beauty by Rihanna. “fentybeauty”. Instagram. May 13, 2022. Accessed 17 May 2022.
- ↑ Kevin Kreider. “Kevin Kreider’s Matcha Mantra”. Kevin Kreider. n.d. Accessed 17 May 2022.
- ↑ “‘Bling Empire’ on Netflix: everything we know about Singaporean cast member Kane Lim”. NME Asia. January 22, 2021. Accessed 1 February 2021.
- ↑ kanelk_k. Instagram. December 25, 2019. Accessed 1 February 2021. Retrieved from https://www.instagram.com/p/B6eY5vXjhWC/
- ↑ “How We Help”. Miracles for Kids. n.d. Accessed 1 February 2021.
- ↑ kanelk_k. Instagram. July 9, 2017. Accessed 1 February 2021. Retrieved from https://www.instagram.com/p/BWUHxjCF66x/
- ↑ “Sian Chay Medical Institution to organise charity gala to raise funds for the operations of 15 branch clinics”. Sian Chay Medical Institution. July 3, 2017. Accessed 1 February 2021.
- ↑ 34.0 34.1 34.2 34.3 34.4 34.5 34.6 34.7 Ray, Chandreyee. "Kim Lee and Kane Lim on how ‘Bling Empire’ has changed everything—including themselves". Vogue. May 14, 2022. Accessed 17 May 2022.
- ↑ De Silva, Aaron. "Kane Lim in Singapore: The Bling Empire star on Rihanna, racism and life after the show". CNA. February 13, 2022. Accessed 17 May 2022.
- ↑ “S'porean 'Bling Empire' star Kane Lim selling LA property for S$4.8 million”. Mothership. January 27, 2021. Accessed 1 February 2021.
- ↑ Ha, Arissa. “Bling Empire’s Kane Lim On Being Kiasu And What He Misses Most About Singapore”. Harper’s Bazaar. January 25, 2021. Accessed 2 February 2021.
- ↑ Lee, Jocelyn. “'If I lose everything... at least I'm happy now'”. The New Paper. March 15, 2014. Accessed 1 February 2021. Retrieved from AsiaOne.
- ↑ 39.0 39.1 Soen, Hayley. “Explained: What exactly is the lawsuit against Kane’s family in Bling Empire?”. The Tab. n.d. Accessed on 14 October 2022.
- ↑ “Hin Leong founder OK Lim denies HSBC's forgery claim”. The Straits Times. November 25, 2020. Accessed on 14 October 2022.
- ↑ 41.0 41.1 Leong, Grace. “Hin Leong founder O.K. Lim hit with 105 more charges; bail raised to $4m”. The Straits Times. June 24, 2021. Accessed on 14 October 2022.