Germaine Tan (Singapore DJ)
Germaine Leonora Tan (born in 1998) is a Producer-Presenter and DJ at Mediacorp. While she rose to prominence under the pseudonym, Baby-G on the Muttons In The Morning show, she has since begun hosting her own show on the radio channel, 987FM, called The Knockout.
Germaine Leonora Tan
|Born||1 November 1998|
|Alma mater||Nanyang Technological University, Ngee Ann Polytechnic|
Background[edit | edit source]
Personal life & family[edit | edit source]
Germaine Tan currently resides in a good class bungalow (GCB) along Jervois Hill with her boyfriend and family, including her brother, sister-in-law, and parents. Her father, Dr Tan Kim Yong is known for being the founder of Hao Mart, a convenience store chain that has over 40 outlets in Singapore.
Education[edit | edit source]
Germaine Tan holds a Bachelor of Arts (Mass Communication/Media Studies) from Nanyang Technological University Singapore (NTU), as well as a Diploma with Merit (Mass Communication/Media Studies) from Ngee Ann Polytechnic.
While enrolled at Ngee Ann Polytechnic, she helmed the campus radio station Radio Heatwave as a DJ. She also participated in a few internships, where she was mostly involved in project management and content creation.
Career[edit | edit source]
Hop App SG (2022 to Present)[edit | edit source]
Germaine Tan founded the business Hop App SG, stylised as hop app sg. She began this venture and created a mobile application to help Singaporean parents better manage their personal time and their children’s enrichment activities. Launched on 25 may 2022, Germaine calls it a “classpass for kids”.
ASICS (Present)[edit | edit source]
Germaine Tan is currently an ambassador for ASCIS, a Japanese sportswear brand. She often promotes their campaigns.
Mediacorp (2015 to Present)[edit | edit source]
Producer-Presenter and DJ on 987FM (2019 to Present)[edit | edit source]
Germaine Tan hosts her own show on local radio station 987FM, The Knockout. The show broadcasts daily, from 8PM to 12AM. At the same time, she often hosts segments with international celebrities and artists, including Sorn and the Hammingtons.
Producer and Part-Time Presenter at Class 95 (2015 to 2019)[edit | edit source]
Prior to working at 987FM, Germaine began her professional career with Mediacorp at Class 95. There, she took up the role of Producer and Part-Time Presenter for the Muttons In The Morning show, which was hosted by well-known duo Justin Ang and Vernon A.
Podcasts and YouTube[edit | edit source]
The NXT Level (2022 to Present)[edit | edit source]
Germaine Tan is one of the hosts of The NXT Level channel on YouTube, where she discusses topics from everyday life alongside other regular panelists.
Hush Hush series and Hush Podcast (2020 to Present)[edit | edit source]
Germaine is a regular on women-centric platform, Clarity’s Hush Podcast. There, she discusses topics like relationships and health and wellness, with fellow DJs Hazelle Teo and Azura Goh. She also appears on Clarity’s Hush Hush series on YouTube.
Darcyds Podcast (20 November 2021)[edit | edit source]
Germaine appeared as a guest on the Darcyds Podcast, where she spoke about her journey as a Radio DJ, content creation, and the importance of audience engagement.
The Mutton Sandwich Podcast (1 October 2020)[edit | edit source]
Germaine reunited with Muttons Justin Ang and Vernon A. in Episode 6 of The Mutton Sandwich Podcasts. They reminisced about her early days as producer “Baby G” at 95FM and had chatted about her current post at 987FM.
Media coverage[edit | edit source]
Zoom interview with Today Online (2022)[edit | edit source]
Germaine Tan guested on Today Online’s Celeb Zoom Meeting interview series, where she shared make-up tips and some of her designer purchases, including an LV Tie Dye Escale Tote Bag. She also mentioned that during Circuit-Breaker, her boyfriend moved in to live with her in her GCB, where she resides with her parents, brother, and sister-in-law.
Speaking about her long-time boyfriend, she mentioned that she first met him in secondary school and has been dating him since 2017. Although she did not disclose further details about him, she confirmed that he was from Singapore.
“I know, it’s such a weird arrangement and people ask me that all the time, like, “Really ah? Your boyfriend stays with you ah?” And yesterday, my friends were just saying that our parents are very open-minded. But I tell you, my parents love him so much… during CB, he cooked and cooked and cooked for them.”
- Germaine Tan on how her boyfriend currently resides with her and her family.
Invited to a ZYRUP Magazine panel discussion as a creative from the media industry (2020)[edit | edit source]
Germaine Tan was featured on a ZYRUP discussion panel, titled Creative Careers, The Practicality of “Breaking the Mould”. The discussion was hosted as part of ZYRUP’s Foreseeable Futures initiative, with topics revolving around the volatility of the media industry and its jobs.
Germaine talked her audience through her decision to continue pursuing a university degree at NTU, after graduating from polytechnic. She shared that while it was challenging, she believed that it would give her better exposure to the industry and thus an advantage over other aspiring creatives.
Making headlines on 8 DAYS due to her wealthy background (2020)[edit | edit source]
Other than her night-time job as a DJ, Germaine is also well-known for her lineage. 8 DAYS reached out to her for a feature, where she shared more about her privileged background and the Tesla Model X that was purchased for her by her father. At the time of purchase, it cost about $500,000.
“My dad is paying for it and I would rather you publish the truth about it…Growing up with this [privileged] background, ever since I was young, I would face a lot criticism from other people…But as I grew older, I realised it’s because I am in a place of privilege and that it can sometimes attract unwanted attention and criticism…I just don’t take it too personally. It is something I am learning every day. I don’t want to discount my blessings and I don’t want to take anything for granted.”
- Germaine Tan on how she copes with criticisms that came with her privileged upbringing.
Playback to the Start on WKWSCI Alumni Magazine (2016)[edit | edit source]
Geramaine was featured on Wee Kim Wee School of Communication and Information’s (WKWSCI) Alumni Magazine, along with 3 other Radio DJs. She related how she came to be a regular on 95FM and how she fulfilled her lifelong dream of becoming a DJ. In particular, she entered 987FM’s Radio Star competition and clinched second place.
“Because of the people at the station, because I get to do what I love, I think that’s what wakes me up every morning.”
- Germaine Tan on her breakout role at 95FM.
References / Citations[edit | edit source]
- Tan, Germaine. “Germaine Tan.” LinkedIn. n.d. Accessed 29 July 2022.
- Mediacorp. “Germaine Leonora Tan”. Mediacorp.sg. n.d. Accessed 29 July 2022.
- Tan, Germaine. “germaineleonora”. Instagram. n.d. Accessed 29 July 2022.
- Tan, Germaine. “germaineleonora”. TikTok. n.d. Accessed 29 July 2022.
- Tan, Celine. “Celeb Zoom Meeting: 987 DJ Germaine Tan On Her Boyfriend Living With Her During CB, & What’s In Her Rainbow Tie-Dye LV Bag”. Today Online. July 8, 2022. Accessed 29 July 2022.
- Chan, Ilsa. “987 DJ Germaine Tan Doesn’t Mind Everyone Knowing Her Dad Paid For Her $500k Tesla”. 8 DAYS. March 16, 2020. Accessed 29 July 2022.
- Sia, Marcus. “HAO Mart CEO Has An Exquisite GCB That Resembles A Spacecraft, Shaped Like An ‘8’ For Prosperity”. Uchify. July 4, 2022. Accessed 29 July 2022.
- hop app sg. “hopapp.sg”. Instagram. June 15, 2022. Accessed 29 July 2022.
- Tan, Germaine. “germaineleonora”. Instagram. April 15, 2022. Accessed 29 July 2022.
- 987FM. “987fm”. Instagram. July 13, 2022. Accessed 29 July 2022.
- The NXT Level. “The NXT Level”. YouTube. n.d. Accessed 1 August 2022.
- Clarity. “Hush Podcast”. Spotify. n.d. Accessed 1 August 2022.
- Clarity. “itsclarityco”.YouTube. n.d. Accessed 1 August 2022.
- Darcyds. “Germaine Leonora Tan: Radio DJ, Behind the Scenes, Mental Health, & Life | Podcast with Darcyds #3”. YouTube. November 20, 2021. Accessed 1 August 2022.
- The Mutton Sandwich Podcast. “Episode 6: Germaine Tan (Baby G)”. Podtail. October 1, 2020. Accessed 1 August 2022.
- Choo, Austen. “Creative Crossroads: Navigating Singapore’s Evolving Media Landscape”. ZYRUP Magazine. March 15, 2020. Accessed 1 August 2022.
- Lim, Clarissa. Humaira, Nur. “Playback to the Start”. WKWSCI Alumni Magazine. n.d. Accessed 1 August 2022.