Trixie Khong (Singapore Entrepreneur)
|Born||20 December 1988|
|Education||Bachelor of Arts|
|Alma mater||National University of Singapore|
|Spouse(s)||Steve Shaw (m. 2019)|
Trixie Khong (born 20 December 1988) is the founder and chief executive officer of the homegrown jewellery label, By Invite Only. Under her leadership, By Invite Only has consecutively won the 'Most Popular Brands of the Year' title at the Singapore Fashion Awards (SFA). Due to the success of her brand, Trixie Khong has been featured by publications like The Straits Times and Yahoo! News. In 2020, she acquired The Mindful Company and became the CEO of the brand. According to her personal website, Trixie Khong is also a freelance consultant for startup retail companies in Singapore.
Trixie Khong was born on 20 December 1988. She was a teenager when she started designing and crafting jewellery as a hobby. In an interview with The Edge Singapore, she said:
“I was 16 when I discovered crafting. It gave me a big sense of identity and purpose; I guess one of the ails of being a teenager is not knowing what you want to do with your life. And so it gave me direction. I enjoyed it, and I did it as a way to supplement my pocket money.”
Trixie Khong studied at Temasek Polytechnic and graduated with a diploma in chemical engineering. She then furthered her studies in communications and new media at the National University of Singapore (NUS), graduating with a Bachelor of Arts degree in 2011.
Trixie Khong is married to Steve Shaw who is also one of her business partners. The couple tied the knot in February 2019.
Through her two businesses, Trixie Khong is partnered with environmental initiatives such as the Jari Para Forest Conservation Project and non-profit organisations like Singapore Association of Mental Health (SAMH) and Samaritans of Singapore (SOS). As a part of By Invite Only's sustainability efforts, the company aims to be carbon-neutral by 2021. Having grown up with eczema-prone skin, Trixie Khong's products are hypoallergenic and free of skin irritants such as nickel, cadmium and lead to cater to those with similar issues.
Founder of By Invite Only
Trixie Khong started By Invite Only in 2009 as a first-year undergraduate. She began by selling her products at multi-label stores but decided to transition online where she could sell directly to consumers and gain better insight on their preferences and needs. Speaking about her decision, Trixie Khong was quoted to have said:
“Selling at the stores, I did not know who was buying my products. I could talk to the salespersons but they would only be able to give me a general overview of who my customers were... Knowing who they (my customers) are means I can re-market to them, to know them and what they want.”
Trixie Khong operated By Invite Only on a full-time basis after graduating from university in 2012. That year, she reportedly sold about $50,000-worth of jewellery. She ran the company on her own for about three years before hiring full-time help in 2015. As the existing CEO of By Invite Only, Trixie Khong oversees the brand's business development, content creation and product design. According to Trixie Khong, By Invite Only is on track to hitting its target of a seven-figure revenue in 2020 despite the COVID-19 pandemic.
CEO of The Mindful Company
In July 2020, Trixie Khong acquired the local jewellery brand, The Mindful Company after it announced that it would be ceasing operations earlier in the year. The Mindful Company produces jewellery that promotes mental well-being and mental health awareness such as Reminder Cuffs; bracelets that are engraved with encouraging phrases and quotes. Speaking to Inside Retail about the acquisition, Trixie Khong was quoted to have said:
“On the business front, we now have the opportunity to explore a new segment in jewellery in the form of personalisation and at the same time, pursue a deeper and more meaningful connection with our customers... Consumers can look forward to even more meaningful collaborations with local non-profit organisations and campaigns with a cause.”
The Mindful Company released its first collection under Trixie Khong's leadership in October 2020.
- ↑ Seah, May. "Carrie K sparkles at Singapore Fashion Awards". The Straits Times. November 25, 2017. Accessed on 1 December 2020.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 “Local Jewellery Designer: By Invite Only”. The Straits Times. July 29, 2013. Accessed on 26 November 2020. Retrieved from Her World.
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Bruce, Niki. “By Invite Only is set to hit its seven-figure revenue target for 2020: founder Trixie Khong”. Yahoo! News. October 15, 2020. Accessed on 26 November 2020.
- ↑ "Jewellery retailer By Invite Only acquires The Mindful Company". The Business Times. September 1, 2020. Accessed on 1 December 2020.
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 Mcllvaine, Heather. "‘I have always loved the brand’: The Mindful Company makes a comeback". Inside Retail. Accessed on 1 December 2020.
- ↑ “About Me”. Trixie Khong. n.d. Accessed on 25 November 2020.
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 Khoo, Natalie. "Handcrafted: By Invite Only jewellery by Trixie Khong". First Classe Malaysia. July 4, 2018. Accessed on 1 December 2020.
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 Low, Claudia. "Designer Spotlight: Trixie Khong Of By Invite Only (SG)". Tongue in Chic. December 21, 2012. Accessed on 1 December 2020.
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 Wong, Pauline. “Shining from within”. The Edge Singapore. September 18, 2020. Accessed on 25 November 2020.
- ↑ Trixie Khong. LinkedIn. n.d. Accessed on 25 November 2020. Retrieved from: https://www.linkedin.com/in/trixie-khong-9455b0b8/
- ↑ Her World Singapore. "The Young Woman Achiever Forum - Trixie Khong, founder of ByInviteOnly". YouTube. April 11, 2014. Accessed on 1 December 2020.
- ↑ Bruce, Niki. “By Invite Only is set to hit its seven-figure revenue target for 2020: founder Trixie Khong”. Yahoo! News. October 15, 2020. Accessed on 26 November 2020.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 Lim, Mary. “Trixie Khong: Mental Health Is A Greater Challenge Than Covid-19”. A Magazine Singapore. October 8, 2020. Accessed on 26 November 2020.
- ↑ Kaileah. “Bride Of The Week: Trixie Khong”. Galia Lahav. June 3, 2019. Accessed on 25 November 2020.
- ↑ Salim, Zafirah. “Jewellery For Sensitive Skin: How This NUS Grad Turned A S$500 Capital Into 7-Figure Revenue”. Vulcan Post. October 27, 2020. Accessed on 26 November 2020.
- ↑ Ler Jun. "At By Invite Only, Founder Trixie Khong Empowers All Women With Dainty, Hypoallergenic Jewellery". Hoolah. March 6, 2020. Accessed on 1 December 2020.
- ↑ 17.0 17.1 Lystra Aranal. "Modern Women's Guide To #ChangeDestiny. Part One: A Peek Into The Life Of Trixie Khong". Clozette. May 31, 2016. Accessed on 1 December 2020.
- ↑ “Singapore jewellery brand The Mindful Company closing on 'a high note'”. CNA Lifestyle. February 24, 2020. Accessed on 25 November 2020.
- ↑ "It’s time to start afresh and ‘Begin Again’ with The Mindful Company". Sex and Singapore City. Accessed on 1 December 2020.