Goh Jin Hian (Singapore Businessman)
Goh Jin Hian
|Education||Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, Master of Business Administration|
|Alma mater||National University of Singapore, University of Hull|
Goh Jin Hian (born 1968) is the Chief Executive Officer of New Silkroutes Group, an investment holding company that mainly operates in the healthcare and energy sectors. He became a businessman in 2011 after over a decade as a physician and a senior-level executive in the healthcare sector. Goh Jin Hian is the only son of Singapore’s second Prime Minister, Goh Chok Tong.
Personal life & family
“My dad shares the same sentiment that I shouldn't go (into politics) at this stage of my life. Like him the family is important to me and I also encourage the staff at work to spend more time with their families.”
Goh Jin Hian is married with two daughters.
Early life & education
Goh Jin Hian is an alumnus of the National University of Singapore (NUS) where he graduated with a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery in 1992. He served his National Service after completing his undergraduate studies. Goh Jin Hian also holds a Master’s degree in Business Administration from the University of Hull.
Goh Jin Hian was a professional in the healthcare industry for 14 years before switching careers in 2011. In 2003, he was the General Manager of Parkway Shenton, a corporate subsidiary of Parkway Group Healthcare which owns several private hospitals in Singapore. Between 2006 and 2007, he was the Chief Executive Officer of Gleneagles Hospital.
Joining the trading sector
Speaking to The Straits Times, Goh Jin Hian shared more about his decision to switch careers:
“I was 43 in 2011. I had to decide whether to stay on - and if so, be a one-organisation person until the day I retire - or do something different.”
Goh Jin Hian started up an independent oil and gas trading firm in 2011. His start-up entered a joint venture with Digiland International in 2014 and was subsumed into the New Silkroutes Group in 2015.
International Energy Group Pte Ltd (2014)
Goh Jin Hian met the Chairman of Digiland, Cai Sui Xin in early 2014. Later that year, Goh Jin Hian and Digiland International entered a joint energy trading venture where the former held majority of the shares. The joint venture was called International Energy Group Pte Ltd (IEG).
Digiland International & New Silkroutes Group Limited - Chief Executive Officer (2015 - current)
Goh Jin Hian was appointed as the CEO of Digiland International on 7 July 2015. That same year, Digiland International was restructured as New Silkroutes Group (NSG), following the company's decision to leave the IT products sector for energy trading. Goh Jin Hian's firm, International Energy Group (IEG) was also made a subsidiary of NSG. According to an NSG report from 2015, the company is primarily "in the business of oil and gas trading, enterprise info-communication system integration, network security and the marketing, sale and distribution of electronic and information technology products". In 2020, the Commercial Affairs Department (CAD) launched an investigation on the company over an alleged offence for "false trading and market rigging".
Goh Jin Hian has held several board positions, most of which are in the healthcare sector. The following are some of his leadership appointments over the years.
|2015 - 2020||New Silkroutes Group Limited||Chief Executive Officer|||
|- current||Independent Director|
|2018 - 2020||Cordlife Group Limited||Chairman|||
|2011 - current||Independent Director|
|2014 - 2019||Inter-Pacific Petroleum's (IPP)||Non-executive Director|||
|2011 - 2014||Executive Director|
|- current||Parkway Shenton Pte Ltd||Director|||
|Shenton Insurance Pte Ltd|
|2015 - current||Healthsciences International Pte Ltd||Executive Director|||
|2007 - 2017||Council of the Singapore Human Resource Institute||Vice President|||
|1996 - 2000||Council of the Singapore Medical Association||Member|
In October 2020, he stepped down as the Chairman of Cordlife Group Limited following a lawsuit from Inter-Pacific Petroleum's (IPP) judicial managers (JMs) over alleged negligence of his director duties. Goh Jin Hian has also stepped down as the CEO of New Silkroutes Group Limited as of October 2020.
- "Goh Jin Hian ". Bloomberg. Accessed on 1 October 2020.
- "New Silkroutes Group Limited (BMT.SI)". Yahoo! Finance. Accessed on 1 October 2020.
- Ministry of Information and The Arts. "A FAMILY PHOTO OF PRIME MINISTER GOH CHOK TONG...". National Archives Singapore. Accessed on 1 October 2020.
- Varsha Sivaram. "Double bundle of joy: Famous personalities with twin children". The Straits Times. June 19, 2017. Accessed on 1 October 2020.
- "Too late ... or I would have four, says Chok Tong". The Straits Times. October 17, 1988. Accessed on 1 October 2020. Retrieved from NewspaperSG.
- "PM's son to wait until dad retires". The Star. March 11, 2003. Accessed on 1 October 2020.
- "A healthy approach to challenges". The Straits Times. October 31, 2016. Accessed on 1 October 2020.
- "YIP parents every bit as proud over sons' graduation". The Straits Times. September 2, 1992. Accessed on 1 October 2020. Retrieved from NewspaperSG.
- Ministry of Information and the Arts. "PRIME MINISTER GOH CHOK TONG CONGRATULATES HIS SON GOH JIN HIAN...". National Archives Singapore. October 15, 1994. Accessed on 1 October 1994.
- Ministry of Information and the Arts. "PRIME MINISTER GOH CHOK TONG'S SON GOH JIN HIAN BEING INTERVIEWED...". National Archives Singapore. October 15, 1994. Accessed on 1 October 2020.
- Chiang, Clemen. "Sophisticated Investor Profile: Dr Goh Jin Hian". Yahoo! Finance. December 23, 2016. Accessed on 1 October 2020.
- "Annual Report 2015". NEW SILKROUTES GROUP LIMITED. Accessed on 1 October 2020.
- "No politics for now because...". The New Paper. March 10, 2003. Accessed on 1 October 2020. Retrieved from NewspaperSG.
- "No politics for now: PM goh's son". The Business Times. March 10, 2003. Accessed on 1 October 2020. Retrieved from NewspaperSG.
- "OUR TEAM". Quantum Health. Accessed on 1 October 2020.
- "CHANGE - ANNOUNCEMENT OF APPOINTMENT:: APPOINTMENT OF DR GOH JIAN HAN AS EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR". Singapore Exchange. Accessed on 1 October 2020.
- Chan Chao Peh. "Digiland appoints Goh Jin Hian as CEO, embarks on energy trading in Malta". The Edge Markets. July 7, 2015. Accessed on 1 October 2020.
- Williams, Ann. "Digiland appoints Dr Goh Jin Hian as CEO". The Straits Times. July 7, 2015. Accessed on 1 October 2020.
- Leong, Grace. "New Silkroutes Group under CAD probe". The Straits Times. September 28, 2020. Accessed on 1 October 2020.
- "New Silkroutes CEO Goh Jin Hian and finance director William Teo assisting with CAD probe". The Straits Times. September 30, 2020. Accessed on 1 October 2020.
- Lam, Fiona. "New Silkroutes says Goh Jin Hian suitable to remain as chairman despite lawsuit". The Business Times. October 6, 2020. Accessed on 6 October 2020.
- "Board Of Directors". Cordlife. Accessed on 1 October 2020.
- Lam, Fiona. "Goh Jin Hian steps down as Cordlife chairman amid IPP lawsuit". The Business Times. October 6, 2020. Accessed on 6 October 2020.
- "Our Team". Healthsciences International Pte Ltd. Accessed on 1 October 2020.
- "Corporate leader's mounting problems". The Straits Times. October 6, 2020. Accessed on 6 October 2020.